Adventure Guides Parent & Child Program
Adventure Guides (formerly Indian Guides) was developed by the Y to help strengthen family relationships. The Adventure Guides Experience enables parents and kids to have fun while sharing new adventures.
As the parent of a young child, you have the tremendous opportunity to get to know your child. Spending quality one-on-one time with your child will help build a strong bond of trust and memories that will last a lifetime. Join the Y and become a member of a community that’s committed every day to helping you and your family grow stronger together.
Goals & Benefits
The Adventure Guides program will:
- Foster companionship and understanding and set a foundation for positive, lifelong relationships between parent and child.
- Build a sense of self-esteem and personal worth.
- Expand awareness of spirit, mind, and body.
- Provide the framework to meet a mutual need of spending enjoyable, constructive, and quality time together.
- Enhance the quality of family time.
- Emphasize the vital role that parents play in the growth and development of their children.
- Offer an important and unique opportunity to develop and enjoy volunteer leadership skills
Foundation & Values
The Compass provides direction for the Friends Forever program.
- The Family is True North – the focal point of the program
- Nature and the camping experience are an integral part of the program teaching respect for nature and oneself
- The spirit of the program is experienced through belonging to a small Community of “circles”
- Fun is the magic of the program
The Y’s core values (Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility) provide directions as parents guide children on their journey. Along the way adults should model, teach and demonstrate these values as well as give children many opportunities to practice and celebrate them. Initially, these four values provide guidance in helping children select activities, make decisions, and choose appropriate courses of action both in the program and in their lives.
The YMCA of Orange County serves over 7,000 people annually in the parent-child program Adventure Guides (formerly Indian Guides). We are excited to start our next adventure with a new program called Junior Guides for preschoolers and their parents. Just like Adventure Guides, Junior Guides is designed for families to create memories together and to develop friendships with other families.
Click here to learn more about the Junior Guides program.
Adventure Guides Information & Schedules
Find Your Expedition
Form An Expedition In Your Neighborhood
Adventure Guides and Junior Guides are expanding throughout Orange County. If you would like to start an Adventure Guides Program in your community, please send an email request to email@example.com.
See more photos here.